Sunday, February 8, 2009

What a difference a day makes


My week started out on a high note with the great fun Bungee & I had just had on our first little test at an agility trial.

Of course Tuesday brought the sad events of saying goodbye to such a great dog as Miss Gabby, and knowing the pain a very dear friend and her family were suffering with such a huge loss.

Little did I expect to have things go from bad to worse, but alas & woe, they did just that when I managed to sprain my back (sacroiliac) Thursday morning. Torn ligaments are not fun.

While I was occupied with excruciating pain & trying to do basic things like getting off the floor or get to the bathroom, I was also missing 4 highly anticipated agility classes in the first 48 hours of being "down". Thursday I missed my private daytime class with Sarah, Friday night we missed our Box Class workshop, Saturday I missed my private with Susan to work on Bungee's contacts, and Saturday afternoon I missed the group handling workshop Susan had put together for us.

It should be no surprise that as I was laying on the floor in sheer agony Thursday morning, the word that came to my mind started with "F". As I've known a lot of back trouble, I could tell by how it felt, this was a big one.

Guess I got into trouble trying to help with the snow blowing and operating the snow blower with my husband putting in such long hours at work. I've felt some little "tinges" of weakness over the last few weeks and ignored them, sort of not believing this could happen to me again after all the great ligament repairs I've had in the last couple of years and how well it all seemed to have worked. I knew I needed to get in for another Prolotherapy treatment too, but I have put it off. It's not exactly the most fun thing to do, but it does work amazingly well.

Well, now I'm looking forward to a day very soon when I'm improved enough to get to a treatment which is in downtown Toronto - about an hour & a half away.

Just goes to say - nothing ever stays the same for long. It's Sunday afternoon and this is the 1st I've really been able to sit up with my computer on my lap for any length of time and write. Probably mainly due to eating Tylenol III every 4 hours & this new analgesic pain creme called "Voltaren" that you rub on makes pain go away. The pharmacist even told my husband it's new on the Canadian market and originates in Finland. Something else to be thankful to the Finnish about!

If missing all our training & watching 2 very bored and worried doggies isn't enough, the weather turned up to be an astonishing 10 degrees yesterday! We lost 2 feet of snow, and there was a giant ice festival in Barrie on Lake Simcoe that a bunch of my friends were at doing cool things with the dogs. Today it's still above zero and has been sunny & gorgeous.
It's nice to look out on : -) Maybe we'll have an early spring.

Our thoughts & prayers continue to be with Sarah & Brent and the Mairs family over the loss of their beautiful Gabby. It's a terrible time to endure and our heart goes out to them. We miss her so much too. I don't think you ever stop missing loved ones, you just get used to living with it I suppose. Back aches are way better anyday, though I'm happy to be able to walk to the bathroom again instead of having to crawl! I'll be even happier to be running my dog again - at least a few weeks on that one however.

Happy Training, It's About Love!


No comments: