Monday, February 2, 2009

Bungee's 1st Trial





There were a few ways to handle the start, I was the only one in the entire class to chose a Lead-out Pivot, (LOP), partially because it's starters, but even the few who might consider trying LOP's on some courses opted against due to the perceived "risk" with the chute at the start. I had no such feelings.

On the contrary - we've waited a long time for this day, so why start our career compromising on all the good training we do? That said however, good thing we video, I did not realize how much I was leaning, and even stepped out to the side - yikes! Note taken... I didn't need to talk to Bungee as much as I did as she stayed on her line nicely. Her focus was GREAT right from the start. When we first arrived I wasn't so sure what would happen, as she was focused - but on only one thing - what was happening on course! However when it was her turn to run, she was ready to go and just as focused on me.

The DH thinks she's slow off the start and takes her speed after the 1st obstacle. He may have something there. We have done an awful lot of control work to have a good start line. So, there's definitely some work to do there to get blasting off, as we can't have that! The judge thought I was "holding back" a bit...I do tend to manage her FC's a bit. Of course we lost time at the crooked line out of the chute, and the head checking with my poorly timed rear cross to the finish line. But, I told you we needed more work on Rear Crosses. But didn't she recover on that LOP beautifully? I was thrilled with Bungee and I had so much fun too!

I was really happy that the course was as tight as it was, taking up only half the field. Most of the Starter Jumpers courses I've been on or seen were 15 - 18 obstacles spread out to the whole field. Those big wide gaps make them very hard to get a fast dog around if it's not really strong on driving a line, unfortunately when they are they are often weak on turning. Bungee turns very well and is improving on driving a line all the time. All will come in it's own time. But this was about the nicest paced starter jumpers course I've seen. We're both very proud of young Princesse Bungee.

We also want to thank our friends who stuck around to the last run of the weekend to see her 1st run, and our friends who made a special trip over just to cheer us on! We are so blessed with good friends in the dogs and a marvelous agility community to play in. Thank you all so much! It meant a lot to us to have you there! I couldn't imagine a nicer way to come back to the game myself! Many thanks.

Happy Training...It's About Love!

No comments: