Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Handling - Why Greg's?


Why We Chose Greg Derrett's Handling System.
(click on the link for more info)

Initially, it was simply what we were taught at the schools we attended. Of course at that time, I was not aware of handling as a system, per se. There is so much for the novice to learn in agility, one can "barely see the forest for the trees" at times.


It was not until I got my 2nd agility dog, the very fast Miss Ketch, that I had the sudden need to become a better handler, and fast! I became very passionate about learning Greg's system as well as I could. As that is the handling system we had started with, I felt I had a vested interest in sticking with it, especially for my dog's sake.
I'm glad we did.

Greg's system brought Ketch and I together as a team in a way I wouldn't have believed possible had I not been there myself. With a lot of help from Sarah & Susan in learning the system, and seeing Greg & Laura only a couple of times, Ketch and I were able to go a very long way in a very short time. Our performances were terrific and always a thrill. Ketchy's career was cut tragically short when she developed cancer at 3 years & 1 month of age, she passed away last November, at only 3.5 years old. But by that time, between her ability and my improved handling, it was clear to all that we could have gone as far as we wanted in agility, if we'd had the chance. Talk about a dog that was all heart, I owe her so much, everything really. But back to Greg's system...

Looking back to my 1st agility dog, Guinness, I believe had I been as consistent with his handling and understood as much about the big picture of the sport, I would have been much more effective about developing his drive and speed too. But hindsight as they say is 20-20. I am still very proud of what we have accomplished and the fine work Mr. Guinness has done and continues to do.

I was very impressed with the fact that I was able to improve Guinness's performance by cleaning up my own act in handling and how well he understood it, once I started handling in a consistent manner. I do believe that is a key ingredient for any team, with any style, but particularly important with Greg's system.

Now of course, we're off to the races with my 3rd agility dog, the young Princesse Bungee, and quite enjoying putting all we've learned to work.

Greg's system is what I know, it works, it allows me to be competitive, I really like using it, and most of all, it provides consistency in training and trials, and that is the essence of being fair to my dogs. Being fair to the dogs is one of most important factors in anything we teach or do. This is one of the reason's I have particularly enjoyed learning from Susan Garrett. She takes being fair to the dogs, as seriously as I do.

The system has evolved over the years, there have been subtle changes, and I assume there will continue to be changes in direct correlation to the sport's evolution.


Greg's system remains the most popular system here in Ontario, and that means it is also the system with the most instructor support available to agility teams. Still, there is much room for improvement and growth in the instruction department, as Greg's own appearances are extremely limited. Perhaps if Greg truly realized how popular his system is here in Ontario, he would provide more access to instructional opportunities either with developing more instructors or making more appearances.

Still, I compliment him highly on making the effort to come to Canada and share how he accomplished what he has in the sport of agility and also
Say Yes Dog Training Center for hosting him to Agility Ontario's greater benefit.

My Thoughts On Other Systems

Agility is a fascinating and exciting sport. I enjoy seeing the variety of handling styles in agility as much as I enjoy seeing the wide variety of dogs in agility. I continue to strive for consistency and proficiency in the use of my own choice of handling system - Greg's.

But what I care much more about than what style of handling one uses is seeing lots of dogs who LOVE agility, paired with
handlers who love and appreciate their dogs, no matter what happened out there on that course!

I personally think the difference in how competitors get from start to finish is what makes the sport of Dog Agility the most exciting and entertaining shows in the dog world!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I have a question about the Derret system and staying consistent. I've noticed a lot of people who follow Linda M.'s system will perform lead out pivots differently than those who follow Greg's by just holding out one arm and I guess "pre-queing" a turn. I think I knew at one point in time, but it seems to have escaped me now, why is this considered inconsistent with Greg's handling style?

Great blog by the way, very fun to look at!

Gail said...

Dear "Anonymous",

You have me at a bit of a disadvantage with your question as I am not very familiar with Linda M's system.

That said, the LOP (lead-out pivot) with one arm up that you ask about, (handler facing the direction the dog is going) is consistent with Greg's system. This is also the only LOP I know.

For a better understanding I would encourage you to contact Greg through his website: wwww.gtagility.com or email him at: lessons@ukagility.com. You could also contact Susan Garrett through her website: www.clickerdogs.com to pursue your understanding of Greg's system further.

Happy Training!

Thank you for your question and your kind words about our blog!

Best Wishes,
Gail